People who love to read often get lost in a good book. Reading is a beloved pastime across the world. But even avid readers cannot be immersed in books all the time. Or can they?
Reading while driving or engaging in other tasks is difficult, if not dangerous, but audiobooks provide a way to enjoy a good story even when you are otherwise engaged. While dedicated readers may feel like they are ‘cheating’ by turning to audiobooks, these alternatives to traditional books can be beneficial in a variety of applications, especially for people with learning disabilities or language learners. second. People who spend a lot of their time on the road or long hours at the gym can also benefit from audiobooks.
Audio books have grown in popularity. Data from the Audio Publishers Association shows audiobook sales to hit $ 1.2 billion in 2019. This figure confirms the idea that audiobooks can offer a host of benefits to people eager to get started. their next page turner.
• Improve punctuation and fluency: Audiobooks tend to be read by professional narrators or even well-known actors and actresses. Listening to audiobooks can help people learn the correct pronunciation of words, read with punctuation awareness, and also take into account speed, stress, and pauses which are important in developing fluency in reading. .
• Introduce new material: Reading Rockets, a resource for teaching reading, says audiobooks can introduce readers to books above their reading level or to topics they normally cannot explore.
• Expand vocabulary: Listening to audiobooks can introduce readers to new words and teach readers to pronounce unfamiliar dialects or old literary styles.
• Experience vivid pictures: Audiobooks can evoke feelings of what should be read as a child. According to Psychology Today, listeners can use the words of the narrator and form mental images of the characters and the plot.
• Escape: Rather than listening to music while moving, exercising, or doing work that doesn’t require a lot of concentration, people can use audiobooks to stimulate their minds.
• Relax and Relieve Stress: Audiobooks can help people feel happy, thereby improving their overall health. Relaxing voices and descriptions of vivid scenes can soothe a person and even help them prepare for sleep.
• Manage Time More Efficiently: A notable advantage of audiobooks is that they can be used when people are doing other tasks, freeing up time throughout the day while ensuring that people enjoy the time. ‘a good story.
Genesee District Library and Audiobooks
The Genesee District Library (GDL) currently offers two different services to meet your eBook and audiobook needs. They each have their own set of rules and work slightly differently, however, there are no late fees with either service. Different content is available on each service, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for on one, try the other.
A digital library available to browse on your smartphone, tablet or computer at any time. Download e-books and audiobooks and listen on your own. The Libby app is available for most devices and makes it easy to find and read books.
GDL also offers the Hoopla app, which has a huge collection of eBooks, audiobooks, and more.
The Holly Township Library also offers electronic resources at hollylibrary.org.
Michigan residents can also go to mel.org to explore libraries and public resources.